Rooted




My thumb is definitely not green. You won't find beautiful flowers or lush greenery in my house or in my yard. I do, however, have a plant in my living room that has managed to survive for almost fifteen years.
 


This hearty schefflera was given to me by my friend Brenda who at the time was also my principal. We worked with at-risk students in an alternative school setting. When she met with staff members at the beginning of the school year, she talked to us about being rooted in Christ. She gave each of us a small potted plant as a visual reminder of the importance of a healthy root system. 

I was determined to keep it healthy. (I was afraid to find out what happens to a person who kills a plant that symbolizes being rooted in Christ.) Taking care of the precious plant became a priority. I read the directions and followed them closely. I paid attention to the amount of water and sunlight that it needed. I was still surprised when it grew to the point I needed to replant it. 

Seeing that plant survive and grow boosted my confidence. I was a single mom with two young daughters. I had escaped an abusive marriage only a few years before. I had asked God for help and He had answered. I was striving to learn how to live this new life.  It was important for me to see that something I was doing was turning out right. 

I thought about Brenda's words that accompanied her gift. She encouraged us to remain "rooted and built up in Him" as we made every effort to make a lasting impact on the lives of our students. I realized that in addition to tending to that plant I needed to tend to my relationship with Christ. For me to grow and flourish, I needed a healthy root system. Time spent studying God's word, in prayer, and in fellowship with other believers was vital if I was going to be spiritually healthy. 

Lots of changes took place over the next few years. My daughters and I moved across the state. I was careful to protect the plant in the chaos of kids, dogs, and packing boxes. At times during the adjustment to life in our new home, I would notice the plant had been neglected and needed a little attention. 


When first one daughter and then the other was diagnosed with dystonia, a movement disorder, life was filled with doctor visits and hospital stays. There were days that my plant and my heart were weary and wilted. The stems on the plant were bent because I forgot to turn it around to face the sun. When I would catch a glimpse of the sagging leaves and crooked stems I would remember to water the plant, turn it toward the sun, and to spend some time with Jesus!

Today both daughters are healthy. Each is living and working in a different city. Less hectic days have made it easier to consistently tend to my plant. As a result, it is again thriving. Its crooked stems are evidence of the struggle it has survived. I am thankful for Brenda's gift and her wise words. I am thankful for a visible reminder each and every day to stay rooted!

         So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord,
         continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built
         up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were 
         taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. 
                                      Colossians 2:6-7 NIV

      




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thirty-two?

No Smell of Fire

Mowing in the Dark