Just Enough

I held my breath as I made the last round with the lawn mower. I was hoping to avoid going to the store for more gas, which would have meant I would finish the yard by the street light. When the last blade was cut, I turned off the mower with a sigh. I had just enough gas to finish. I was reminded of other times when there has been just enough. 

A few years ago our family went through a season of medical crises. In one five month span I had a child in the hospital for surgery or other procedure each month at least once. In a time of wondering how I would have money for gas, groceries, and medicine, I read the story of Elijah and the widow found in 1Kings.
In that story, a widow who was struggling to provide for herself and her son trusts Elijah. She follows his instructions to use the little flour and oil she has to make bread for him. Elijah tells the widow that the Lord would provide for her. The words of that passage jumped off the page.
     16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word           of the Lord spoken by Elijah. 1Kings 17:16 NIV

God got my attention with that story. I noticed that scripture doesn't say the jug overflowed; it says it didn't run dry. Elijah, the widow, and her son didn't feast on steak and lobster, or need a to-go box. They had food each day. They had just enough.

I began to trust God to meet each need, to stretch each paycheck to cover our needs. Friends and family helped. More than once I went to the mailbox and found a card with a check or a gift card. I was overwhelmed by the willingness of God's people to respond to our needs with such generosity.
Our jug did not run dry.

Thank you Father for being our faithful provider. Help us to trust You in times of struggle and in times of prosperity. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thirty-two?

No Smell of Fire

Mowing in the Dark