Mowing in the Dark

I knew I had procrastinated too long. The yard was a jungle. I had used every excuse to put off this task, but today was the day it must be done. The neighbors had all mowed. I had the lone unkempt, tall grassland on the block.

I started late in the evening. Unfortunately, because I was cutting a jungle, it was slow going. Every few steps required that I slow down, raise the mower to blow out the grass, then repeat. By the time I got to the last section of my yard, the sun was setting quickly.

When I was about half-way through that part, the only light was from the streetlight in the corner.  As I guess-mowed, I thought about light sources and mowing. (I know, my brain is weird)

When I mow the yard in the sunlight, I can see well. It's easy to see where the grass needs to be cut and use that as a guide to know where to turn. I can see fallen twigs, the neighbor kid's nerf darts, and the wire from the old sprinkler head that I mowed over last time. In the sunlight I can avoid these obstacles, protecting the mower--and me!

When I mow under the streetlight or in the dark,  it is more difficult to know where I'm going. It's harder to see what has already been cut; therefore I have no guide to show me where to turn. Obstacles are hidden. The job takes longer, doesn't look as good when I'm finished, and can be more hazardous.

Mowing in the dark is difficult and dangerous. It's much better to mow in the light!

I wonder if life mirrors mowing in the dark? I can look back at times when I have chosen to live far away from the Light. Decisions were difficult. I had no guide to use to know where to turn. Lots of obstacles seemed to jump up out of nowhere. In contrast, when I live life in the Light, it's so much easier to see. The path is clear. I know where to turn. I can see hazards that need to be avoided for my protection.

Living in the dark is difficult and dangerous. It's much better to live in the Light!

Then Jesus spoke to them again: “I am the light of the world. Anyone who follows Me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life.” John 8: 12 HCSB

Comments

  1. Good analogy! Living/mowing in the dark, besides the obstacles, is also lonely place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. As always very thought provoking

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thirty-two?

No Smell of Fire