Anywhere But Waco



The words rang in my ears like the shot heard ‘round the world.  “Have you ever thought about leaving this town?” My trusted pastor, Anthony, caught me off guard with this question.

Some days I was ready to leave, but other days I wanted to stay forever.  The thought of moving scared me. This had been my home for fourteen years and my daughters' only home. My son was buried here. I was involved in my church and comfortable there. Would I get lost in a bigger church?

We discussed the reasons to consider moving.  I was a single parent, with no family close by. The alternative school where I was employed as a teacher was in danger of being closed. The most important reason however, was that God had led Anthony to ask me this question. I trusted God, but when it came to Him speaking to me I was pretty sure my hearing was defective.

Could it be that God had good things in store for us somewhere else?  Was it possible that His plan involved us moving?  The idea was definitely out of my comfort zone. 

As we continued our discussion, we talked about what life might look like for my family in a bigger city. I was thinking of places like Austin, Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio. Anthony suggested that I begin to apply online to some schools and see what doors would open. I agreed to take that step. I had one condition. "I'll go anywhere but Waco." 

My parents had recently moved to the Waco area. I had made some extremely poor decisions that had affected them. I couldn't imagine living in the same city. I am so glad that God is not limited by my imagination!
At home I began to research school districts. I filled out lots of online applications for lots of cities besides Waco. I tried desperately to drown out the still small voice that seemed to be stuck like a broken record. Waco. Apply in Waco. You need to go to Waco. 
When I realized that the voice was not going away, I decided to listen. I applied at schools near my parents' home. They were thrilled. (they are very forgiving people!) In a whirlwind of activity that summer, I had major surgery, got hired over the telephone, sold my house, bought a house, and moved to... Hewitt! (Which is just outside of Waco). I look back on how God orchestrated every detail and continue to be amazed. 

My relationship with my parents has been restored. The move was good for all of us. I have a job that I absolutely love. I am part of a very large church family which provides many opportunities to serve. I am thankful for God's plan and His timetable. I am thankful for a faithful, obedient pastor who wasn't afraid to ask me a hard question. 
God is faithful. He is for us. His plans are for our good. We can trust Him!

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 NIV



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thirty-two?

No Smell of Fire

Mowing in the Dark